VALUES & PRIORITIES


Here's an interesting content to read about the most important aspects of our lives:  Values & Priorities.

So now consider, reading this content is your current PRIORITY. Before reading, remember, today you are going to get something very significant to learn...

Let us start by asking ourselves:

"What do you really VALUE?"




Well, an interesting way to find out is to keep track of how much "money" you spend on various things. Another way to notice what you really value is to track how much "time" you spend pursuing various aspects of your life.

We think that we value "family, love, contribution and health" the most. But, when we track where we spend most of our time and money, we often notice that we actually value "security, comfort & entertainment" the most.

When I did the above activity, I wrote "Peace of Mind" as my No. 1 VALUE. After all, for that, I daily meditate (maximum) for 30 minutes. However, when I summarize the rest of my every day’s routine except the time I spend in doing daily household work, I watch TV for 2 hours, 30 minutes I listen music, 30 minutes I watch short films. I spend maximum money in doing all these activities (TV recharge, net pack, additional light bill due to continuously watching TV, etc). I observed, I spend significantly more than what I "spend" on Peace of Mind ...Ouch!!!

In the world of Personal Transformation feeling "Ouch", can be good. That's the beginning of change: AN IMPROVEMENT!! As I noticed, my actions were not aligned with my values, so I decided to spend less time watching TV and Movies and invested more time in book reading, spending quality time with family and in nature, started communicating more with people from whom I will get to learn something. By doing all this, I will experience happiness which will certainly bring me "Peace of Mind".

To find your VALUE, try listing the below values in descending order:
Love; Health; Security; Adventure; Peace of Mind; Entertainment; Contribution.

Or you may also try to rate these values in order of its importance:
1.Peace of Mind
2.Love
3.Health
4.Contribution
5.Security
6.Adventure
7.Entertainment

Of course, this won’t give you a complete picture of what you value, but it will definitely guide you to identify correctly. Once you identify your top 3 values, observe the time and money you spend on those areas / things. Similarly, check with your remaining four values, see approximately how much time and money you spend on them.

Suddenly you will realize, you spend a lot of time on something that you rated your lowest value, or perhaps you spend very little on something you rated your No. 1 value. Hopefully, this realization, will help you to rearrange your life priorities.

Our life is shaped by the decisions we make. Our decisions are shaped by our Values. When our values are not aligned with the time and money we spend on various priorities, we feel stressed and frustrated. 

By performing this simple exercise, you can begin the process of arranging your life to sync up with what's really most important to you. When that happens, you will experience happiness and satisfaction.

I hope this activity will help you realize your values and arrange your priorities. Have a good Time and Money Management.

Thank You!!!

- Meenakshi Mahesh Sutar







Comments